Friday, May 26, 2006

Painful, Inflammatory and Unusual

Upon hearing of such grand doctorly names as "Galaxy" and "Omar", at my time at Sunshine Hospital (where the weather is determinedly overcast), I began to feel that my own title was perhaps inadequate. It was at this point that I began to see the technical language of my chosen career, that of medicine, as a treasure trove of lovely names which I could use for my own purposes.

There is that very pretty Latin spelling of a traditional name, "Anaesthesia". Then there is "Candida", a very common name among the not-so-English speaking world. I have taken a fancy to "Porphyria", which I have been told is also a lovely poem by Robert Browning. I even know an "Alexia" in real life! "Chorea" is a nice, friendly sort of place to be named after.

As to a surname? Well, mark my words, I was surprised to see a name very similar to that of a familiar gynaecological condition upon the back of a Greek soccer player this evening. His surname? "Salpingidis". It certainly brings to mind those famous characters of Willy Shakespeare (known for his many inventions, including the vibrator- from which he obviously took his name), those of King Leer and his daughters Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea!

So much choice! So few letter spaces on those immigration forms!

2 comments:

James said...

I'd like to sleep with an Anaesthesia.

Snipergirl said...

I can't believe it too me that long to get that joke.