Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Things I do or do not think

Firstly, for your amusement before I get into the rant, I have discovered, to my surprise, a site which actually manages to have blogs that are even whinier than those on the dreaded LiveJournal. Yes, this site is Vampire Freaks, which appears to consist mainly of whiny goths (as opposed to the non-whiny ones) in whiny goth outfits doing whiny goth activities like whining, gothing, listening to Evanesence and posting drivel of this calibre. The first thing I wondered was "get into" what? Then what "69" really had to do with music. Finally I had to agree with the owner of this blog; if my English was that bad, I would also "Want to die". The truly ironic thing of course is that this ESL Vampire is one of the top 5 rated girls on this site. One has to wonder what kind of people rate this stuff. Oh yeah, that's right, it's the Death Squad.

[rant]

And so, finally, an experiment of a different kind comes to an end... Yes, that's right, for those who have been following its progress over the last few months, Dire Assassin has finally signed off, probably for good. My comments as to the success of this project are up now. It's been an interesting time. I've never written such an openly crass, self-centred and cruel character before. As a writer, I feel that I've grown as a result as in the past I would not have had the faintest idea how to begin such an undertaking. To the uninitiated, Dire Assassin was a "what if" scenario. What if there was another explanation for my behaviour, one that posited that I was, in fact, the typical career-obsessed self-centred arrogant medical student? And what then would be the responses of the readers, many of whom know me?

I was somewhat amused by many of the responses I received.

I was also fairly shocked.

It seems that much to my surprise (given my initial problems with writing the character consistently), Dire Assassin was realistic enough to be believable, to the extent that everyone actually believed it was me. And then of course there were the times that even those who knew of the cheap artistic ploy assumed that there were small hidden messages that hinted at reality. Yes, I'm looking at you, Viridiancircle ;-).

What saddens me of course were the expressions of rage, disgust and outrage which this blog invited. In many ways Dire Assassin deserved much of what she got, and the fact that it enraged people demonstrates that the character was exactly who I wanted her to be. However, what I did not expect was how personally people took what I thought was obviously not a very "me" sort of blog. I thought she was quite obviously a character with a different nature to mine. However it seems that quite a few of my friends had problems dealing with a) the separation of fantasy and reality and b) just how nasty my fake character was. As I explain on my rant, I did let small amounts of reality bleed through which accounts perhaps for what happened.

Anyway, while 2 or 3 posts are now private entries for various reasons, the experiment as a whole is staying up for your perusal!

[/rant]

12 comments:

Aubrey said...

Perhaps it is because I never read your livejournal, or because I am not someone you know in 'real life', but I don't get it. What was the deception?

Snipergirl said...

I took a whole lot of things that may or may not have happened to me and invented a whole lot of fake thoughts "in character" to go along with them and posted them up. In many cases what I was feeling or thinking was markedly different from what was on there.

David said...

It was a rather amusing deception, and I found it even more interesting as you so subtlely pointed out in one of your first responses to someone... hehehe, you'll soon notice something... well... odd about my blog. just like my other one it's a bit different.

you'll understand, i'm sure.


and then they didn't understand.

Playing with peoples heads is funny. For those who care, the random comments made by bradav over there, are made by me.

Snipergirl said...

I think I even had a couple of comments up here and there which said "these are not my real thoughts".

I'm tempted to continue the blog into a fictional life divorced of reality as I was going to do however I may be contented merely in writing a story... not sure as yet

David said...

do both! both BOTH BOTH


ummm...i think you get the picture.

Snipergirl said...

Nice use of HTML tags there!

Aubrey said...

After reading the LJ in question, Dire Assassin strikes me as someone who needs to get laid.

Viridiancircle said...

Yes, yes, despite my blithe comment, I do understand the depth of your deception. And DA does need a good shag, preferably with a humanoid. Maybe she could try Tubgirl...

*pukes at the thought*

queerlittleprincess said...

I didn't even read your other blog. I am so much less intellectual than you! I just write about sex and bums and stuff in my blog.... and no one even reads it! I thought people were into smutt these days....

David said...

QLP: you have sex and bums and stuff in your blog, and no-one told me?

Snipergirl: I had to show of my 1337ness somehow ;) now if you'll please excuse me whilst I puke due to calling self 1337.

Aubrey said...

You can come back now. The coast is clear.

Snipergirl said...

Much to the surprise of everyone, DireAssassin actually gets laid a fair bit due to her superficial charm. Bitch.