Thursday, May 26, 2005

True Sociopathy

So, less than a week after pondering the meaning of the term "sociopathy" with a certain Pet Redhead, I was to discover the true meaning of the horrors of Antisocial Personality Disorder...

For Chris Medicine and I had, in the depths of time known as "first year", "fresherhood" and "eee! so cuuute! 18 year old fresh meat!!" attended a lecture in which a lady with Beta Thalassaemia spoke to us of the problems she faced with her disease. In classic style, our decorum was something that would vanish almost as quickly as this story begins...

Beta Thalassaemia Woman: ... and so I survived more than 10 years longer than the doctors predicted.
Me (loudly): You go girl! You show those doctors!
Chris Medicine (to me): Shut up!

Later:
Beta Thalassaemia Woman: My friend, who also had Beta Thalassaemia, and I were out for sushi one day. I just went to the bathroom for 5 minutes. When I came back, she was DEAD.
Chris Medicine (to me): I wonder who ate the sushi?

And thus contemplating the past over MSN, questions regarding this exchange surely surfaced. Who did eat the sushi? Did that person develop food poisoning? Did the ß-T woman eat the sushi and then grieve? Or grieve, then eat the sushi surreptitiously? Or perhaps, bulimic-style, she stuffed her face with the sushi while sobbing in the ambulance? Maybe there was no sushi left because her friend had in fact choked on the sushi? Which led to a discussion on what the rate of death by choking actually was...

Me: My aunt died of choking secondary to her chronic renal failure secondary to her ovarian cancer. Which isn't funny at all.
Chris Medicine: Absolutely not, as there was no sushi involved.
Me: ROFLMAO

Yes, that's right folks: we are the doctors of tomorrow. We are the future.

12 comments:

Keith Tan said...

Ban sushi now!!!

Snipergirl said...

Never! We shall fight on the benches, we shall fight on the concrete lawns, we shall fight in the tute rooms and on the paths, we shall fight in the lifts; we shall never surrender our California Rolls!

Keith Tan said...

What happened to good ole Shepperds Pies? Our traditional values and ways of eating...threatened by this deadly botched culinary abortion...sushi!!

Think of the children!

Snipergirl said...

I never really liked eating shepherds anyway. They sort of taste woolly... down there...

Crono said...

That is HOT!

Anonymous said...

You said that in first year? Gosh I can't remember all those strange behaviour coming from the top right corner of the Sunderland, being in the front row forever, but I did laugh in support, and _occasionally_ shooshed. Hmm this board is funny. But a bit like vodka, can only have once a month.

Snipergirl said...

You only have vodka once a month? What kind of freak are you??? ;-)

Remember the laser-pointer trick?

Anonymous said...

Hehe, did we eventually realise it was you? I vaguely remember you unmasked yourself as the mystery second dot. - that one I liked

Anonymous said...

I saw you today at uni. I was gonna catch up and say hi, but it would've meant speeding up a bit, and I coffee yet, so didn't have the energy to move beyond a dawdle. But I guess you'll cope with the disappointment in time.

Snipergirl said...

It was actually the Happy Goth aka Miranda. Well, her, Paul, me and Chris...

Me, cope with disappointment? Never...

Jens said...

Can nobody distinguish between beta (β) and sz (ß)! Arrrgh....

Snipergirl said...

There's a difference?! ;-)