Thursday, April 14, 2005

Theatrical Operations

So, there I was, sitting at our residence in Horsham, just chilling out after hours. I'm watching TV, waiting for the oven to be heated so as I can chuck the Tandoori chicken in the oven. The phone rings- it's the surgical nurse on the phone, apparently the surgeon wants to show us something in the operating theatre. No-one else from our group is around, so I quickly put the chicken in the now heated oven, set my alarm for when I need to head back after the operation to turn the chicken over, and I leave for theatre.

It's a cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder), in case you were wondering. The surgeon is halfway through the operation. He carefully dissects out the gallbladder, cutting away the surrounding fat and vessels, easing it away from the liver. Finally it comes out, red, swollen, infected. My watch starts beeping. Dammit.

So I ask one of the nurses whether there's a phone in here. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping my other med groupmates have returned home. I pick up the receiver and dial. The wrong number. I dial again...
"Hey, this is Thilini"
"Hello?" It's Nicole, one of the nursing students staying at our place
"Hey, I really need a favour... I've left something in the oven and I'm in theatre..."
So there I am, in the middle of operating theatre explaining cooking directions over the phone to this girl. Invariably the others start laughing. Especially as I have to explain these instructions about 3 or 4 times:
"No, you have to take it out now, turn over the pieces, brush them with oil, then put it back in for another 20-30 minutes!"
"Ok, I finally got it! Hey, she says do this..."
While they are finishing up an operation. To remove a gallbladder.

I was mighty hungry by the time I got home to eat.

Oh, the irony.

10 comments:

Aubrey said...

chikuunn!

Incidentally, my sister had her gallbladder removed when she was 17. My siblings and I were so awful to her, eating tasty junk food around her. She took the teasing like a champ though. Gaww, now I feel bad...

And that's when I decided to sell my gallbladder on ebay.

chikuunn!

Anonymous said...

Ahahahahaha that has got to go into the next Gube Thilini. - Q

Snipergirl said...

OK, I really need someone to explain to me who "chikun" is...

People with gallstones... poor them... no alcohol, no greasy fatty goodness hehehe, they must be a lot of fun to make fun of!

Actually I should probably send this to the gube... Who's editing it this year?

Aubrey said...

Well, remember that mediocre movie "the Fifth Element"? Milla Jovovich said chicken like that a lot.

nomercyboy said...

MEDIOCRE MOVIE!?!

That movie rules! C'mon.

"MULTIPASS!"

"Yeah, she know's it's a multipass."

"MULTIPASS!"

Worlds Worst Demon said...

MULTIPASS! oh no, that's not what I wanted to say......

oh, this is what I wanted to say......

I think I'm in love with snipergirl, is that bad?

David said...

yes, loving snipergirl can only lead to heartbreak. trust me, I lived with her for three years!

Crono said...

MULTIPASS!

Snipergirl said...

5th Element was GREAT, man! I mean, it had Milla in it *faints*. She was sooo hot. Plus it was just so random and cool.

Speaking of Multipass... I have to go all the way to fucking Mt Waverley today so I shall attempt to get me a "Sunday Saver" which should be travel all day for $2.50, all over the city (zones 1-3). Not sure if it will work though...

Being in love with Snipergirl? Its rarity makes it all the more special =)

Snipergirl said...

Oh, and if I ever have one of those Tamagotchis... or write anime... I'll make sure I include a character called "Chikun" or "Chi-Kun" even better :)