Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tales from the Outback

So, there I am, checking out some timetables for my eventual return to Horsham, and I happen to notice a certain little town called "Keith", which is some way along the road from Adelaide to Melbourne. As I happen to be chatting to Siren Elmira the Seductress at the time, I mention to him the existence of a town named after him and proceed to google it.

The results were intriguing, and shall I say, ironic, to say the least. Keith is a small, rural, agricultural town in South Australia with a population of roughly 1,200. It was founded in 1889 in the middle of a desert. No-one even moved in for another 5 years. They only had a proper BUILDING a decade later. Even so, it is older than Siren Elmira, not to mention larger. In a statement reminiscent of Ferrero's penultimate question "Can you grow vegetables in your pussy?", it turns out that "Keith is a busy grain growing centre and produces around half of Australia's lucerne crop."

I wonder if there are any wild sheep in Keith?

Some Links:

Travelmate guide to Keith
Sydney Morning Herald article about Keith

5 comments:

Snipergirl said...

"Welcome to thilini, population 3,765 people, 75,400 sea cows, 102,340 sea sheeps and an uncountable number of seaweeds"

Aubrey said...

Snipergirl, the Return!

I missed this. Welcome back.

Snipergirl said...

I hate having inconsistent internet access. Hopefully I should be able to update more regularly over the next few weeks as I have fixed access. Not sure if there will be much of interest going on up in Horsham however...

Crono said...

Sea sheeps?

Better still, you could cross-breed them with dolphins and have leaping mutton. Baa, splash! Baa, splash!

Snipergirl said...

We will ride our seahorses to work and partake of sea cucumbers in our salad. The leaping mutton, sadly will mutate to form a superspecies of hyper-intelligent sea mammals. However, before they can reach their full potential and take over the oceans, they will be turned into a huge roast and eaten for the new feast of Lundfast.