Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Gay men are sick.

Dammit, I'm sick of it. Every time we get a case study on a gay man, either there is an assumption in the case study that the guy has to have HIV testing or everyone in my stupid group thinks that all gay men should automatically be tested for HIV even if they came in with back pain or something totally irrelevant. This time is no different; the guy (who is a white Australian) comes in with what looks like skin cancer for gods' sake, the case notes talk about how they did a sexual history and asked for an HIV test and MY GROUP FINDS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! There is a possibility that the reason that the doctor in the case study suspects HIV is because of a viral skin infection common in immunocompromised patients which can have a similar description... but NO-ONE in my group even considered that skin infection. They think it is relevant just because the guy, who is in a 29-year monogamous relationship and usually only has oral sex, is GAY. I'm pretty sure this is some 20 years after they changed the name of GRID or Gay-Related Immunodeficiency to AIDS.

I think the reason that I am pissed off is because people act as if being a gay man is some kind of disease which has the common complication of HIV/AIDS. People forget that most people infected with HIV in the world are straight. Straight women have the highest rates of new infections in Australia. In fact, so many of the straight people I know engage in either risky sexual behaviour or have never had an STD test despite their slutty behaviour. Lesbians are no better- they just assume they can't get anything, despite the fact that syphilis, herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhea can all be transmitted by oral sex... and a surprisingly high number of lesbians have sex with gay men. The blatant hypocrisy of straight people however is what really gets me. They are willing to point the finger, but they can't take any responsibility for themselves.

Amusingly enough, I just called my mother and she has no idea why anyone would take a sexual history for someone with skin cancer just because they're gay. And she is a relatively conservative woman.

I am at a total loss.

7 comments:

Crono said...

As a gay man, I have a theory:

People are stupid.

Snipergirl said...

That's for sure! Every now and then I toy with the idea of changing the title of this blog to: Snipergirl | Stupid Things People Say To Me.

nomercyboy said...

Since when do lesbians sleep with gay men? I always thought lesbians only slept with, well, other women.

Why would they...? I mean...and why with gay men?

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, WHY DO GAY MEN GET TO SLEEP WITH LESBIANS? That's just not fair!

Snipergirl said...

The gay men won't ask you for a threesome? ;-)

nomercyboy said...

Wha???

I don't want to... What? Why would you think that I...?

I'm confused.

Snipergirl said...

Jokez0rs. Hehehe. I have no idea why lesbians in general sleep with gay men, though I suspect that it would partially be due to lesbians having lots of gay man friends, the fact that you wouldn't be playing around with some straight guy's emotions, and the fact that you could do it without having to worry about the other person thinking your sexuality is novel/kinky/an issue. Plus the fact that a lot of people label themselves as gay or straight even though they might have bisexual tendencies.

nomercyboy said...

Oh. Well, that makes a lot of sense then, when you put it that way.